PAY YOUR BILLS
START A BUSINESS
FREE MONEY SEARCH
FREE MONEY NEWS
Add to Favorites
Heating bills are going up and the winter months can create financial havoc with utility bill payments. There are many programs around the country that help people financially and legally from having their utilities turned off. To find programs you may qualify for in your area you must search 1) your city or township government, 2) your county government, 3) your state government, 4) local non-profit agencies and local development corporations, 5) as well as your utility company.
Make sure you also check with all of the following offices for help in locating appropriate organizations in your area 1) your local library, 2) your local elected officials, 3) your local United Way and, 4) all housing agencies in your area. Local government offices can be identified at www.govengine.com and your local United Way can be identified at http://national.unitedway.org/myuw.
If you are a senior, you should contact your local area office on aging by calling 1-800-677-1116 or see http://www.aoa.gov/eldfam/How_To_Find/Agencies/Agencies.asp You should also seek out your local community action agency near your to see if they have a program to help you. Find you can find your local agency at www.communityactionpartnership.com/about/links/map.asp or by contacting the Community Action Partnership in Washington, DC at 202-265-7546
Listed below is a sampling of similar local programs around the country.
1) $200 For 60 + Who Face Shut Off or No FuelCare and Share, American Red Cross/Niagara MohawkCortland, NY http://cortland.redcross.org/e-utility.htm 2) Payments Made To Utility Companies To Avoid Shut OffCharlotte Neighborhood Development/Crisis Assistance MinistryCharlotte, NC http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Neighborhood+Dev/Housing+Services/Energy+Assistance.htm
3) $500 To Pay Utility Bills for Seniors Making Up to $22,453 Utility Emergency Services FundPhiladelphia, PA http://www.uesfacts.org/about.html
4) Hardship Funds For People Who Fall Through The CracksPennsylvania Public Utility CommissionPA http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/consumer_ed/energy_asst_progs.aspx 5) Up To $500 in 5 Funds To Stop Utility Cut OffsMid America Assistance Coalition-Managed Utility FundsKansas City, MO http://www.maaclink.org/utility_individual_funds.htm 6) Money For Seniors Who Don't Qualify For Government ProgramsShare The Warmth Program, Oklahoma Natural GasOklahoma https://www.ong.com/residential/customerprograms-sharewarm.jsp
7) Millionaires Over 65 Get 20% Off Gas BillsAssistance Programs, Philadelphia Gas WorksPhiladelphia, PA http://www.pgworks.com/new%20site/C0008a.htm
8) Seniors Making $24,400 Can Get $280 Discount Energy Assistance Program Rate, Sacramento Municipal Utility DistrictSacramento. CA http://www.smud.org/residential/bill/eapr.html
9) 50% Discount For Seniors 65+ Making $31,992Utility Discount Program, Mayor's Office for Senior CitizensSeattle, WA http://www.cityofseattle.net/humanservices/mosc/utility_discount_program.htm
10) 25% Discount On Water, Sewer, And Solid Waste For Seniors Making $19,248Low Income Assistance Program, Tacoma PowerTacoma, WA http://www.ci.tacoma.wa.us/power/ResidentialServices/low_income_assistance.htm
11) Pay Only 10% Of Income If Income Less Than $19,245Percentage of Income Payment Plan, Public Utilities Commission of OhioOhio http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/information.cfm?doc_id=93
12) Pay No More Than 6% On Utilities If Income Under $24,464Universal Service Fund New Jersey Board of Public UtilitiesNJ http://www.bpu.state.nj.us/home/USFQA.shtml
No matter what your income, you may be eligible for a discount on your utility bill if someone in your home is dependent on a medical device that uses electricity. Or if you need heating an air-conditioning to care for someone with special needs. Local government offices can be identified at www.govengine.com and your local United Way can be located at http://national.unitedway.org/myuw/ . You can also contact you local area office on aging by calling 1-800-677-1116 or go to http://www.aoa.gov/eldfam/How_To_Find/Agencies/Agencies.asp Here is a list of some sources around the country:
1) 30% Rate Discount To Run Medical Equipment To Care For Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, Quadriplegic or MS PatientMedical Equipment Discount Rate, Sacramento Municipal Utility DistrictSacramento, CA http://www.smud.org/residential/services/med_rate.html
2) Rate Discounts For Life Equipment Or Special NeedsServices For Medical Baseline and Life-Support Customers, Pacific Gas and ElectricCalifornia http://www.pge.com/res/financial_assistance/medical_baseline_life_support/
3) Pay No More For Extra Electricity To Run Medical Machines or Heading and Air-conditioning for PatientMedical Baseline Allowance, Utility Consumers' Action NetworkSan Diego, CA http://www.ucan.org/consumer_info/Elec_Bill/reduce_utility_bill.htm
4) Get 25% Discount On Utility Bills With No Income Requirement Medical Residential Assistance Programs, Municipal Services DivisionSanta Clara, CA http://www.ci.santa-clara.ca.us/pub_utility/pu_help_paying.html
No matter what your income and as long as your improvements will create a more energy efficient home you can save a lot on interest rates and finance charges by using a subsidized energy conservation loan program. These programs are typically available from your state department of energy, a local government office or your utility company. State and local government offices can be found by contacting your state or city operators or www.govengine.com . Your local phone directory and library can help you locate your local utility companies. Be sure to check them all. Here is a sample of the kinds of programs available.
1) $35,000 Low Interest Loan For Fireplaces, Freezers, Cloth Washers, Etc.Dollar and Energy Saving Loans, Nebraska Energy OfficeLincoln, NE http://www.neo.state.ne.us/loan/improv.htm 2) $50,000 Low Interest Loan For New Energy Saving AppliancesEnergy Loan Fund, Ohio Department Of DevelopmentColumbus, OH http://www.odod.state.oh.us/cdd/oee/ELFDS.htm
3) $20,000 Low Interest Loan To Make Energy Saving ImprovementsNY Energy Smart Loan Program, NY Energy Research & Development AuthorityAlbany, NY http://www.nyserda.org/loanfund/ 4) 0% Interest Loans For Energy Efficiency ImprovementsResidential Weatherization Program, Tacoma PowerTacoma, WA http://www.ci.tacoma.wa.us/power/ResidentialServices/default.htm3 5) $3,000 For New Storm Doors Or Windows5% Weatherization Loans, Tideland EMCPantego, NC http://www.tidelandemc.com/p&sincentives.htm
A rebate is another form of free money and it's available for consumers with any income level as long as you buy a product. Utility companies around the country offer such rebates to encourage energy efficient products that will save you on your heating bill and save them from having to generate more services. Your local phone directory and library can help you locate your local utility companies. Be sure to check them all. Here is a sample of the kinds of programs available.
1) 70% on Insulation Purchases Up To $700Home Check, Mid-America Energy CompanyDes Moines, IA http://www.midamericanenergy.com/html/energy3g.asp 2) $20 On A Lamp and $750 On A Heat PumpConservation Services, Tacoma PowerTacoma, WA http://www.ci.tacoma.wa.us/power/ResidentialServices/default.htm
3) $600 For Installing An Add-On Heat PumpWashington Electric Cooperative, IncMarietta, OH http://www.weci.org/rebates.html
4) 50% Of Insulation Purchases Up to $200Home or Business Energy Grant, Sawnee EMCCumming, GA http://www.sawnee.com/Energy/incentives.htm
5) $150 On A DishwasherEnergy Star Appliances, Minnesota PowerDuluth, MN http://www.mnpower.com/energystar/special_offers/index.htm
Are you fed up with your job because they keep wanting you to work more and more hours for the same money.