Information USA, Inc: 3909 Prospect st, Kensington, Md 20895    Lesko government grants, loans & free money    1-800-955-7693

Free Home Repair In West Virginia

Home Repair Programs
Home repair money comes in many different shapes and sizes. Some are specifically for seniors, while others do not have an age requirement. Many of the repair programs are grants, which you do not have to pay back, although some are loan programs. There are even some loan programs, that if you live in the house a certain number of years you don't have to pay it back or you have to pay it back when you sell your home. The rules vary from agency to agency and from town to town. You just need to see what is available near you. Do not let the income requirements of some programs be a stumbling block. Maybe you applied for a program a few years ago, but didn't qualify. Contact them again because the income guidelines keep rising. Also many programs take certain issues or expenses into consideration when determining eligibility. Just explain your situation clearly, and ask! These home repair programs are definitely not just for homeowners. You can be a renter or student and still qualify for services and assistance!
To begin your search you can see what your state has to offer, usually through your state Housing Finance Agency or State Department of Housing and Economic Development which you can find at or by looking at the National Council of State Housing Agencies listing at
Here are a few programs were able to find by doing a test search for Maine, Oregon and Virginia. Every state will have something similar so be sure to check your state if you are not a member of
When I searched for programs in Maine I found that MaineHousing has a great program that with one application to their Home Repair Network you can apply to state and federal programs. These programs provide grants, loans, or forgivable loans to fix heating, electrical, structural, or home accessibility, in addition to repairing well or septic systems. And that is not all! They also offer programs to remove lead paint which may also involve replacing windows and doors. The entire amount of this loan is forgiven after three years if the house has not been sold. Another program, Weatherization and Central Heating Improvement Program- CHIP, provides grants to improve energy efficiency and energy repairs. The Home Energy Loan Program provides a loan of up to $30,000 at 3.95% interest for low to moderate-income homeowners to make their homes more energy efficient. There is even a Disaster Assistance Loan Program which offers low interest rate home repair loans or replacement mortgages for homes damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster. All of these programs are obviously for Maine residents, but your state may offer something similar.

For more information on these contact
353 Water St.,
Augusta, ME 04330;
207-626-4600; 800-452-4668;

Oregon Housing and Community Services, in partnership with rural cities, counties, and local nonprofits, helps low-income homeowners obtain the funds they need to complete home repairs in rural areas. Each year OHCS awards federal grant funds to cities and counties to implement a home repair program. Cities and counties then typically hire a local nonprofit agency to implement the home repair program. The local nonprofits then work with eligible households and assists them through the entire process including determining their eligibility, developing a scope of work, selecting a qualified contractor and all the way through to the completion of the home repairs.
Eligible home repairs must address health and safety concerns such as weatherization, electrical and plumbing upgrades. Basic home maintenance work is also eligible, which may include roofing, siding, insulation, dry rot repairs, heating systems, light fixtures, and the installation of built-in appliances.
The counties of Clackamas, Washington, and Multnomah, as well as the cities of Ashland, Bend, Corvallis, Eugene, Portland, Salem, and Springfield, also receive funding that may, at their discretion, be used for home repairs. To find a local provider check out

For more information contact
Oregon Housing and Community Services,
725 Summer St.,
NE, Suite B,
Salem, OR 97301;

The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) administers programs targeted at preserving or rehabilitating existing housing. These programs not only assist in maintaining the current availability of affordable housing, but they also improve the quality of life for citizens throughout the state. DHCD's programs address indoor plumbing, weatherization, emergency repairs to homes with imminent health and safety hazards and address lead safety for homes with small children.
The Emergency Home Repair Program improves housing conditions and opportunities for low and very low-income Virginians. The program provides funds to remove imminent health and safety hazards, and/or barriers to habitability in their homes.

Assistance is available to occupants from local nonprofit organizations based on income. Eligible repairs can include plumbing, structural, electrical, roofing, wheelchair ramps, and handicapped accessible appliances. To apply for assistance, select the link to the Emergency_HomeRepair_contacts.pdf to find and contact the agency that provides services in your locality. They will provide you with eligibility requirements and information on how to apply. To find out more about the services that are provided, please call (804) 371-7112 or e-mail:
The Indoor Plumbing Rehabilitation (IPR) program provides zero percent interest, forgivable loans in eligible localities for the installation of indoor plumbing to owners of substandard housing where indoor plumbing does not exist, or where the existing water delivery or waste disposal systems have failed. Loan repayments are determined by the homeowner's ability to make payments. The program also provides for the general rehabilitation of these units, and for accessibility improvements to units occupied by persons with disabilities or where overcrowded conditions exist. If you own the home in which you live and are living without complete indoor plumbing, contact your local IPR Program Administrator at IPR_Contact_List.pdf Your local IPR Administrator will be able to help you determine if you are eligible for IPR assistance and will work with you through the process. For more information, contact DHCD at: or (804) 371-7061.
The Virginia Lead Safe Homes Program provides assistance for housing within designated localities that were built prior to 1978 and are occupied by low-income families with a child six years old or younger. The localities that are currently receiving funding are: the cities of Danville, Petersburg, Newport News, and Portsmouth, and the counties of Accomac, Northampton (Eastern Shore), Surry, Amelia, Mecklenburg, and Nottoway. Additional localities may be included as time permits. Rental and owner occupied properties are eligible. To learn if your family or property may be eligible for this assistance, call (804) 371-7064.
In addition the Department administers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program that provides funding to assist in the payment of heating bills, and to provide emergency heating assistance in cases where the heating system is inoperable or unsafe, or in cases where utility cut-off is imminent. For information about other assistance programs available under LIHEAP, including fuel assistance, crisis assistance, and cooling assistance, visit: They also administer several programs that provide water and wastewater systems to low-income communities in Virginia.
The Weatherization Assistance program provides funds to reduce the heating and cooling costs
for low-income families, and to ensure their health and safety. Assistance services are available for low-income households, particularly for the elderly, individuals with disabilities, and families with children.The program provides direct installation of energy-saving measures such as:
Sealing air-leaks with insulation, caulking, and weather-stripping; Repairing leaky duct systems; Repairing and/or replacing inefficient or unsafe heating systems; and Installing carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. The Weatherization Assistance Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy through grants to the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
(DHCD), as well as from funds from the Virginia Department of Social Services' Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Weatherization Component. Assistance is available
throughout the entire state from local community action agencies and nonprofit housing organizations.The Weatherization Providers Listing at http://www.dhcd.virginia.
gov/HousingPreservationRehabilitation/ PDFs/weatherization_providers.pdf
provides information on weatherization providers in your area where you may apply for home weatherization.
For more information contact
the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development,
The Jackson Center,
501 North Second St.,
VA 23219-1321; 804-371-7000; Fax: (804) 371-7090;


To find house repair help from the Federal government, you can begin by searching the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance at This catalog lists all money programs available through the government. You can search by keywords such as house repair, house rehabilitation, and house modification. There are also several departments within the government that have special help on this issue including:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at
U.S. Department of Agriculture at
But don't think this is everything. Search the Catalog and make some calls to learn more about what is available in your area. You can also contact your State Community Services Block Grant program contact to see if they can direct you to a resource at
For example:
Rehab Mortgage
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development offers the 203k Program. Section 203(k) insurance enables homebuyers and homeowners to finance both the purchase (or refinancing) of a house and the cost of its rehabilitation through a single mortgage - or to finance the rehabilitation of their existing home. When buying a house that is need of repair or modernization, homebuyers usually have to follow a complicated and costly process, first obtaining financing to purchase the property, then getting additional financing for the rehabilitation work, and finally finding a permanent mortgage after rehabilitation is completed to pay off the interim loans. The interim acquisition and improvement loans often have relatively high interest rates and short repayment terms. However, Section 203(k) offers a solution that helps both borrowers and lenders, insuring a single, long - term, fixed - or adjustable - rate loan that covers both the acquisition and rehabilitation of a property. Section 203(k) insured loans save borrowers time and money, and also protect lenders by allowing them to have the loan insured even before the condition and value of the property may offer adequate security. You apply for the loan through one of HUD's approved lenders.

For more information on the 203 (k) program check out
For a list of lenders at
For a listing of FAQs check out

Title I Loans
The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) makes it easier for consumers to obtain affordable home improvement loans by insuring loans made by private lenders to improve properties that meet certain requirements. The Title I program insures loans to finance the light or moderate rehabilitation of properties, as well as the construction of nonresidential buildings on the property. This program may be used to insure such loans for up to 20 years on either single- or multifamily properties. The maximum loan amount is $25,000 for improving a single-family home or for improving or building a nonresidential structure. To find a listing of approved lenders, check out To learn more about the program go to
Help For Those Who Live In Small Towns
For very low income families who own homes in need of repair, the Home Repair Loan and Grant Program (504) offers loans and grants for renovation. The Home Repair Program also provides funds to make a home accessible to someone with disabilities. Money may be provided, for example, to repair a leaking roof; to replace a wood stove with central heating; to construct a front-door ramp for someone using a wheelchair; or to replace an outhouse and pump with running water, a bathroom, and a waste disposal system. Homeowners 62 years and older are eligible for home improvement grants. Other low income families and individuals receive loans at a 1% interest rate directly from HCFP. To obtain a loan, homeowner-occupants must be unable to obtain affordable credit elsewhere and must have very low incomes, defined as below 50 percent of the area median income. They must need to make repairs and improvements to make the dwelling more safe and sanitary or to remove health and safety hazards. Loans of up to $20,000 and grants of up to $7,500 are available. Check out and%20

For more information contact
Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office,
U.S. Department of Agriculture,
Room 5037, South Building,
14th Street and Independence Avenue,
S.W., Washington,
D.C. 20250; 202-720-4323;

Grants For Veterans
Do you have a service connected disability? Veterans or servicemembers who have specific service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the purpose of constructing an adapted home or modifying an existing home to meet their adaptive needs. The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is to provide a barrier-free living environment that affords the veterans or servicemembers a level of independent living he or she may not normally enjoy. There are two types of grants administered by VA, which are available to assist severely disabled veterans or servicemembers in adapting housing to their special needs. The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to severely disabled veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to a home especially adapted for their needs due to loss of mobility. Under this entitlement, a temporary grant (TRA) may be available to veterans who are/will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member. The Special Housing Adaptations Grant is available to veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to home adaptations due to blindness in both eyes with 5/200 visual acuity or less, or includes the anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands. Under this entitlement, a temporary grant (TRA) may be available to veterans who are/will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member. To apply you need the VA Form 26-4555 which you can find here: You then must submit the form to your nearest VA Regional Loan Center which can be found here: If you need to talk to someone about Specially Adapted Housing, you can find an agent in your area here:

For more information you can contact
the Department of Veterans Affairs at 800-827-1000;

2,500 To Pay Your Insulation Bills
Storm windows, insulation and even weather stripping can help reduce your heating and cooling bills. The U.S. Department of Energy offers the Weatherization Assistance Program. Many people are eligible for this program from renters to homeowners, from those who live in single family or multi-family housing to those who live in mobile homes. Preference is given to the elderly and those families with children. You must apply through your state weatherization agency. States allocate dollars to nonprofit agencies for purchasing and installing energy-related repairs.

For information on eligibility and where to apply in your state contact
the National office at Department of Weatherization,
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy,
Mail Stop EE-1,
Department of Energy, Washington,
DC 20585; 202-586-9220; 877-337-3463;

$$ To Pay Your Heating Bill
Even if you are not approved by the U.S. Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program, you might still be eligible for short-term assistance on your utility bill for Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, LIHEAP serves low-income families by offering heating and cooling subsidies, energy crisis intervention to assist in weather-related and fuel supply shortages, and household energy-related emergencies, such as utility shutoffs. The amount of money and eligibility for this program varies from state to state. To locate your state contact office, contact your U.S. Administration for Children and Families, 370 L'Enfant Promenade, SW, Washington, DC 20447; 866-674-6327;
$8,000 to Improve Your Home So It Cuts Your Utility Bills
This program is called the "Energy Efficient Mortgages Program" and can be used to make energy-efficient improvements in one to four existing and new homes. The improvements can be included in a borrower's mortgage only if their total cost is less than the total dollar value of the energy that will be saved during their useful life. The cost of the improvements that may be eligible for financing as part of the mortgage is either 5 percent of the property's value (not to exceed $8,000) or $4,000, whichever is greater. The maximum mortgage limit for a single-family home is $160,950, plus the cost of the eligible energy-efficient improvements. (Limits may be lower in some areas of the country.) U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410; 202-708-1112;
Help For Seniors or the Disabled
Many programs target those over 60 or the disabled. Maybe you need to improve access to your home, or make adaptations so you can continue living in your home. Maybe you have let upkeep slip on your home, and now require roof or heating repairs. You can contact your local Area Agency on Aging which can be found at or you can contact the Eldercare Locator at 800-677-116 or Both can usually direct you to resources within your community. For Home Modification programs you can check out the National Directory of Home Modification programs compiled by the National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification at
For example:
In Ohio the Economic and Community Development Institute (ECDI) provides minor home repair assistance to those 60 or over or the disabled. You can receive up to $6,000 in repairs for free! Repairs include roof repair or replacement, or mechanical system repairs or upgrades. You can also receive wheelchair ramps, doorway expansions, and even installation of safety bars in bathrooms. ECDI operates three different programs. The first is the City of Columbus CHORES program for those who own their own home and whose income is less that $36,600 ($$2,800 for two). This program provides home repairs for those in the City of Columbus. The second program is the Franklin County program which has the same requirements, but is for those living outside city limits. The final program is the Ohio Department of Development Emergency Home Repair Program. To learn more contact Economic and Community Development Institute, 475 East Mound St., Columbus, OH 43215; 614-559-0115;
The City of Victorville, CA will do home repairs and home modifications of up to $10,000 for seniors whose incomes do not exceed $37,900 for two people. Repairs include home modifications, energy efficiency, safety measures, weatherization, and more. Contact Senior Home Repair Program, Economic Development Department, City of Victorville, 14343 Civic Dr., P.O. Box 5001, Victorville, CA 92353; 760-243-8312;
The Champaign County Regional Planning Commission provides minor home repairs related to health and safety for low-income seniors (60+) and disabled homeowners in Champaign County. Typical repairs include doors, windows, locks, gutters, minor plumbing and electrical jobs, installation of grab bars, and repairs to floors and steps/ramps.

For more information contact
Senior Home Repair Service,
Champaign County Regional Planning,
1776 E. Washington St.,
Urbana, IL 61802; 217-328-3313;

To locate help in your city or county you can search a couple of places. Contact your city or county Department of Housing, Department of Community Development, or even the Department of Economic Development. These can be found by contacting your city or county government, or by looking online at http://www.govengine.comThe office name varies from place to place, but you want to find the one that deals with housing issues. Many cities and counties have set aside money to help with the repair and upkeep of homes. Some have dispersed the money to local non-profits who manage the programs. It may take a few phone calls to find the right program, but the money is there to be found.
For example:
The City of Cincinnati Ohio offers several different programs through their Community Development Department. The City provides funds to the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati for emergency mortgage assistance to low and moderate income households. The Legal Aid Society can be reached at 513-241-9400. The City contracts with the Home Ownership Center (HOC) to provide low interest loans to qualified low and moderate income homeowners to rehabilitate single family owner occupied homes.

For more information, contact
the Home Ownership Center,
2820 Vernon Place, Cincinnati,
OH 45219; 513-961-2800;

The City provides funds to People Working Cooperatively, Inc. to provide emergency housing repairs to low-income and elderly households.

For more information about this program contact
People Working Cooperatively,
4612 Paddock Rd.,
Cincinnati, OH 45229;

For more information on any of these programs contact
the City of Cincinnati,
Community Development,
805 Central Avenue, Suite 700
OH 45202; 513-352-6146;

The City of O'Fallon Missouri has a $5,000 forgivable loan program which allows you to make improvements on your home. Eligible repairs include such projects as repair or replacement of water heaters, sump pumps, siding, roofs and a variety of other home improvements. What is nice about this loan is that if you stay in your home for five years you don't have to pay it back!

For more information contact
Carol O'Mara, City of O'Fallon,
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Administrator,
100 N. Main St.,
O'Fallon, MO 63366; 636-379-5411; If you live in other cities in Missouri you can check out this website from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development which lists housing renovation and repair programs in Missouri:

Community Services
There are over 1,100 Community Action Agencies around the country. It is worth contacting your local agency to see if they offer housing repair programs. Some we found have programs specific to seniors, others manage the weatherization programs for their areas, some do emergency home repairs, and others do home modifications. To find a community action agency near you go to:
or contact
Community Action Partnership,
1100 17th St NW Suite 500,
Washington, DC 20036; 202-265-7546;
Fax: 202-265-8850; ;
For example:
The Community Action Agency of Oklahoma City offers several different home repair programs. The Emergency Home Repair program is designed to do repairs for the health or safety of the occupants of a home. Such repairs as roof replacement, heating installation, electrical repairs, and more. They also operate the Weatherization Program which includes attic insulation caulking and glazing windows, storm windows, and more to help make the home more energy efficient.

For more information contact
Community Action Agency Of Oklahoma City and Oklahoma / Canadian Counties,
Inc., 319 S.W. 25th Street,
Oklahoma City,
OK 73109; 405-232-0199;
Fax : 405-232-9074;

The Lorain County Community Action Agency offers similar programs. They can be found at Lorain County Community Action Agency, P.O. Box 245, 502/506 Broadway, Lorain, OH 44052-0245; 440-245-2009;
The Wayne County Community Action Agency has a one-time 0% interest deferred loan to make improvement or repairs on a home. The loan does not need to be paid back until the home is sold.

For more information contact
Jerry Tambeau, Home Repair and Energy Inspector,
Wayne-Metro Main Service Office,
3715 W. Jefferson, Ecorse,
MI 48229; 313-843-2550;

Remember, these are just the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds and hundreds of programs out there, but we have tried to list all the starting places for locating programs offered near you. A beautifully repaired home could just be a phone call away.
Happy Hunting!
Matthew Lesko