Information USA, Inc: 3909 Prospect st, Kensington, Md 20895    Lesko government grants, loans & free money    1-800-955-7693

Love Kids? Train For A Kids Career At Any Age

Seniors Go Free and Grants for Others


Stacie Burch
Assistant Director, TEACH INSTITUTE
AnnArundelCommunity College

  Interview Highlights

  • They offer a number of programs that are both for credit and non-credit for people to become professional child care providers.
  • For people who want to work at Day Care Centers, Pre-School Programs and After School Programs.
  • They also provide training for family providers...these are people who want to provide child care services in their home
  • You must be registered with the state to do this and they do the training.
  • Their courses can also be used for people who are already doing early childhood education and want more training.
  • The courses are aimed at making child care providers more professional so they can earn more money.
  • 0 to 3-5 years are the most important years in a person's life.
  • To have a child care center in your home you need 24 hours of courses in addition to CPR training.
  • If you are going to be the lead teacher in a child care center you need 90 hours of training.
  • There are another 9 hours depending on your prior education level.
  • The courses vary depending upon the age of children you plan to work with.
  • All the courses cost about $500.
  • Seniors can take the courses for free.
  • They have a number of retired people taking these courses in order to start a second career.
  • They provide training for a CDA (Child Development Associate), this is 120 of training.
  • There are groups that require this to work with children, like the military.
  • They provide a certificate in Child Development.
  • If you sign up for the 120 hour program you will be eligible for a lot of jobs after you finish the first 90 hours.
  • It can take a year to 18 months to complete they program.
  • The program can be paid for with state training money from Workforce Development.
  • Maryland has a Child Care Career and Professional Development Fund to encourage child care providers to get college degrees. ( at the time of the interview they are not accepting new applications, but check for current status at ).
  • This encourages child care providers to get degrees.
  • They have and AAT and AAS in child development.
  • They are the place to go for full time or part time work in child development.